4.06.2010

Don't Trash Your Dress- Donate It!

For those who don't know the not-so-new trend of "trash the dress", it started back in the 1990's as a way for brides and their photographers to make a statement. The brides are typically photographed in the dress in a beach or urban scene where formal dresses are not typically worn to display the contrast and show off an artistic side. The dress, in effect, is ruined by getting it totally soaked, dirty, or in other instances, ripped to shreds. This is supposedly symbolic of the wedding being done and the fact the dress will not be used again. Apparently, it's listed on Wiki as an "alternative to storing the dress".  Excuse me? What ever happened to donating your dress?? 


The whole "trash the dress" scene really started to bug me once I realized how truly wasteful it was. There are plenty of women who could benefit from a lovely used wedding gown but would otherwise not be able to afford a Priscilla of Boston or Maggie Sottero. My dress, of course, was none of those labels, or any major label, to be honest. But it was a beautiful dress that I did not want to see go to waste by going swimming in it or have it sit in my closet, never to be worn again. 


I decided to donate it, and once I finally got around to mailing it, I was really happy I did. Honestly, I wish I could've paid an extra few bucks to see who it went to and how it looked on her! Anyway, if you feel the same way I do, please consider donating your dress to a woman who could really use it. Unless your mom handmade it, and then, by all means, preserve it professionally so you can have it as an heirloom for years and years to come! 


Making Memories is an organization dedicated to "granting wishes- including memory-making events, for metastic breast cancer patients..." Their request for donations are contemporary dresses, slips and veils from 2005 to present. In turn, they hold nationwide "Brides Against Breast Cancer" tours to provide affordable options to women who are fighting breast cancer and help make their dream wedding come true. The gowns prices range from $99 to $799 and include hundreds of top designers, half of which come directly from the designers and manufacturers. 


Please send your dress (and other accessories) in garment bag to:
Gown Donations
Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation
2553 NW Division Street
Gresham, OR 97030


Someone somewhere will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment